Wednesday 30 March 2011

I find myself to be influenced by a wide variety of things; including cinema, literature, the natural world, and other artists. In cinema, I find myself drawn to the films of Guillermo del Toro, whose films are often dark fairy tales, like "Pans Labyrinth", or "Cronos". Another filmmaker that inspires me is Shinya Tsukamoto, whose bleak and abrasive "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" has inspired wonder and awe at his twisted allegory of urban degeneration. I read many books, but no author has drawn me in as much as H.P Lovecraft, whose indescribable, and horrible mythos left me to try and recreate these colorful worlds and characters to which are often supposed to be "unimaginable". In fine art, I am most inspired by the turbulent, sensual sculptures of Auguste Rodin, to me, he raised the bar of what a sculptor needs to accomplish. Also, the Black Paintings of Francisco Goya and the work of illustrator Mike Mignola are gorgeous, with their pools of jet black, that veil the subject, leaving the imagination to play tricks on the viewer. Finally, I am influenced by the world around me, namely exotic places that I have been to, and have not yet been, ancient cultures, marine life, and wildlife.

I hope to improve my sculpting in future, to encompass a wider range of materials of which I may not have had the opportunity to use in the past, and to be able to use the materials that I have already used to greater skill and more complex pieces. As well as this, I hope to also improve skills in other media, such as drawing, so then I can create more ambitious works.

In the future, after completing the foundation course, I would like to get a degree in Fine Art, and then to do a course in Archeology or in

No comments:

Post a Comment